Monday, April 6, 2009

Is it "Jewish" to hate?

The Virtue of Hate

Go ahead, read it. I'll wait.

...

This article bothers me, chiefly because I have trouble disproving it. It feels wrong; even though I can't find any irrefutable textual proof I know in my gut that Judaism is not about hate.

On the other hand, releasing hate is not the same as forgiving.

We do have "Love thy neighbor as thyself", but that does not address the full issue. Especially since many people seem capable of hating themselves - often because of the exact same events that make them hate others. A quick read through the Torah shows a bloody, vengeful history. And it's not like we have nothing to be upset about.

Emotion is different than action. Hate is different than vengeance. Never forget; never forgive. You can be as angry as you want at your foes, but you may not strike them down. Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord.

Hate is left to humans.

Except for one spot. Yom Kippur. It took me this far into writing to remember, but I am glad that I did. We are taught that in order to be forgiven, we must forgive lest we be omitted from the Book Of Life.

So there it is. You can keep your hate if you need it, but your vengeance will be taken upon yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment