Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Learning Goes Both Ways

Just read an essay by Marc Rosenstein at the URJ's Israel Connections that raises an excellent point and tells a touching story of Islam/Judaism relations: link here.

In brief: the local Jewish community gave a class and the Muslims attended, but there were no Jews taking classes from the Muslims. So they started one. And it sounds like it was a hit.

I like this idea. Especially the part where we remember that communication, education, and openness in interfaith relations go in both directions. It is important to study other faiths as you study your own - even beyond the big three - especially those that blend religious and political interactions. It occurs to me that when I begin rabbinic school I should devote considerable attention to studying our sibling religions.

It also occurs to me that I don't have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment